Thursday, April 26, 2012

Artist Residency


I'm happy to share (with my 200th blog post), that I have been chosen as one of the Glen Arbor Art Association’s 2012 Artists in Residence. I will be spending two weeks in June painting in northwest lower Michigan. The association provides housing and a studio in a renovated barn at one of the historic farms that is a part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. I’ll use the studio when it’s rainy or dark, but I plan to spend most of my time painting en plein air. If you’ve read my blog, you know that I paint in that part of Michigan every summer. Usually it’s just for a few days at a time. So having two weeks, by myself to concentrate, will be a nice little sabbatical.

Dunes, water, woods, farms, and quaint towns—I won’t run out of subjects to paint. I could probably spend a week alone at Thoreson Farm, where the studio is. The view from the hill above the farm looking west to Lake Michigan is beautiful.

Even the outhouse is paintable. It’s right next to the egg hatching hut. The idea being that every time you made a visit, you checked in on the eggs and hatchlings.

The painting at the top is one I did a couple of years ago. It’s the Burfiend farm also a part of the park.
Farm along the shore, oil 16" x 24"

1 comment:

Laurel Daniel said...

Wow!!! That is great news and such a great honor! Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see the work.