Monday, February 27, 2012

Beach morning


I painted one morning last week at beach just at the south end of Lahaina, Maui. I've painted there several times before because it has a lot of the visual elements I like about Hawaii—beach, ocean, palms, canoes, island and mountain views. Anytime of day, looking one way or another, you can find the right light. This is a view looking north from right in front of the Pacific’O restaurant at 505 Front Street.

I started painting around 8:30 just as the nearby surfing lessons were getting started. On the restaurant deck people started getting things set up for lunch a little while later and the manager (or owner, I don't know which), came out to visit and see what I was up to. He asked if I drank coffee (of course I do), and came back in a few minutes with a wonderful cappuccino.

This was about a three hour effort with pauses to look around and enjoy being there. I knew it was going to be a good day with such a beautiful view and great coffee, and then a new friend stopped by and laid in the sand to keep me company.

Lahaina morning, oil, 14" x 12" SOLD


2 comments:

Laurel Daniel said...

What a great morning you had! The coffee, the new friend (man and animal), beautiful setting, and a great painting to remember it all with!

Pam Holnback said...

Loving every one of these! Especially since I can now visualize where each one was/is!!