Monday, August 22, 2011

Saugatuck/Douglas plein air event


I was invited again to participate in Water Street Gallery's annual paint-out in Saugatuck and Douglas, Michigan. A very quaint and picturesque pair of towns on the west side of the state just separated by the Kalamazoo River. The day started out nice enough, but the sky didn't look too promising. A three-quarter mile hike with a couple of other artists, Brian Smith and Kristian Matthews, through the woods of the Saugatuck Dunes State Park lead me to this dune/beach scene. I had to do a little bit of shadow inventing with the sky turning overcast, but it was coming along for an hour or so till the rain started. I made it back to the car before the downpour and headed to a park pavilion in town to finish it. I would like to have done another, but with limited locations and time, I didn't have the chance. The sun came back out before the evening opening which had a great turn-out. Talking with other artists and gallery visitors made for an enjoyable night, and my painting sold.
Saugatuck Dunes morning, oil 12" x 10" SOLD

No comments: