Saturday, March 7, 2009

Two more from Kauai

This taro fields painting was the last for my workshop. Friday morning started out with very iffy weather. First light revealed clouds and passing showers. Our group assembled on the West side of Hanalei at an open field with views of the mountains to the South. I wasn't very excited by the location, but after wondering around for a half hour while deciding if the weather would hold, we set-up. The sun came out and I found this spot to paint. After about an hour we had one more ten minute rain and the rest of the day was great. All the rain on this island makes for constant, picturesque waterfalls. This took about four hours. After three the worker showed up at just the right moment.















Taro fields and tea leaves, oil 16" x 10"

My last day on Kauai, I wanted to paint palm trees. I found this house with a view of Hanalei Bay and stood in the beach park to paint it. Hanalei Home, 12" x 9"

2 comments:

Laurel Daniel said...

So hard to leave this wonderful vacation you gave me! It makes me want to go back! These paintings from your last day show your complete enjoyment and love of the place. Thanks for sharing the journey!

Mary Anne Cary said...

I like your work David, very jealous you are in such a beautiful place to paint!