Friday, November 23, 2012

Summer memories




Here’s another new studio painting based on a plein air piece from a couple of years ago. The original was an 8" x 10", this is 14" x 24". I’d like to start doing more of the larger size on location. I think the largest I’ve done plein air, was 16" x 20". Recently I’ve been reading books on Joaquin Sorolla and Edgar Payne. Both great artists who didn’t just think of plein air as being meant for small studies. It’s inspirational to see them pictured outside somewhere with these large canvases. I have not yet reached the limits of what my French easel can hold, but I hope to some day.

Silver canoes, oil, 14" x 24"



















Joaquin Sorolla painting on the beach in Spain.

1 comment:

Laurel Daniel said...

Those guys ARE inspiring... in any size... but even more so when you think of what it took them to drag all their stuff to these locations. Not for the faint of heart. I love the rhythm in this piece and it scaled up beautifully. Nice work.