Wednesday, October 5, 2011

New painting, new gallery

If you've followed my blog or looked at my website, you may have noticed that I have an affinity to a couple of locations for painting. I grew up in Michigan and summers by the northwest shore are an ingrained part of me. The dunes and lake are always calling. Within a half-day drive I can have my easel in the sand and a beautiful coastal view in front of me.

I'm not sure how the same affection happened with Hawaii, but after my first visit about 25 years ago, I was hooked. It's not just the warm weather and beautiful beaches, you can find those in other places. I love the warmth of the people, the music, the culture, and of course, the island views.

I have had my work in a couple of Michigan galleries for a few years, and I'm happy to say I am now represented in Hawaii by Village Galleries of Maui. With locations in Lahaina and Kapalua, they are Maui's oldest gallery.

A great place to paint on the south end of Kaanapali Beach is the Lahaina Canoe Club. They have a good collection of colorful outriggers and interesting views. I have painted en plein air there a couple of times and now this just completed en studio piece is on it's way to Maui.

At the Canoe Club, oil, 18" x 18"

1 comment:

bonner said...

This is gorgeous! Beautiful shadows.