Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Snow and a show


I have finally gotten around to painting a seasonal scene. A warm location is always my first choice, but winter shadows on a sunny day are hard to resist. One of the things that attracts me to a subject like this, is contrast: shadows vs. light, cool vs. warm, sharp focus vs. soft. These things can make about any subject more interesting and dynamic. Trying to capture them is one of the reasons I don't get tired of painting. Winter brook, oil, 14" x 10"

On another note, I just installed artwork for a group show of the Glenview Art League at The BookMarket in the Glen Town Center. I was happy to find out another graphic designer/painter I knew joined the group: Deb Anderson. She has some great pieces in the show and she's also, like me, a North Park University alum.

2 comments:

Double "D" said...

Well this is certainly a departure from
the trade winds of Hawaii.
Nice work David.

Doug

James R Hawkinson said...

Congratulations from a Minnesotan, where snow abounds, as do birches and the shadows they cast.

You are a birch yourself, and have been for yours, casting warm shadows on our common life and work from your studios.

I wrote Nathan Stromberg, Bob's son and my grandson, commending your site this morning, even as I am writing you to be in touch with him, now a MAS from the Boston School of Art who heads the art dept at Minnehaha, and has a current exhibit himself in the Community Hall at Hopkins, MN.

His email is stromberg@minnehahaacademy.net and his "blob," on which earlier there is a video of his work centering on the '50s, is at http://natestromberg.blogspot.com/

Thanks again for being you and doing all you continue to do as part of our common life in the Covenasnt. I am blessed and honored to be your friend and colleague.

Jim H